The Embassy Appointment from Hades

My interview for Elliott's US visa was Thursday 11/13 at 9am.  Abhi could not believe it was that early but that was the time I was given and that was the time I would go!  Due to security, drivers are not allowed to stop in front of the embassy. We we're let off about 1/4 mile from the embassy. Abhi said the appointment would be 15 minutes and no food or drink would be allowed. I left the diaper bag in the cab(this would later prove to be the dumbest thing I EVER did). We found the gate and held up our US passports, these got us to the front of the line. Of course Elliott was extremely attached to Abhi(wink, wink) so I had to insist she go with us. We went through security and through all sorts of lines, bypassing them all. When we got into the interview building we were told to take a seat. What was supposed to be 15 minutes turned out to be almost an hour. This unfortunately meant Elliott missed his snack time. He started screaming, actually that is an understatement. If you have ever seen the exorcist, my poor baby was screaming that loud. I was the white girl who started crying in front of all of those Indians. I lost it. I could not console him.  Abhi kept trying to find out when my interview would be since it was past 10 and neither of us saw the point of a 9:00 appointment.  Finally after about 20 minutes of screaming, I was politely asked to leave the building. That's right, I was kicked out of MY embassy.

I was outside on a bench with Abhi. My amazing mom was inside waiting for my name to be called. Abhi was about to go looking for snacks when an amazing worker saw how upset we all were and offered Elliott a few of her biscuits she was enjoying on her break. I started crying again out of her generosity. She ended up giving him the whole pack. This did the trick and shortly after our name was called. I was asked if I faced any problems during my adoption journey. LOADED QUESTION!!  I replied nope!  I was asked a few more questions and them we were told to return on Monday to pick up the visa. I was also informed that I needed to get photos of Elliott taken since the passport ones I had would not work!  Ugh!

This was the day that I realized what an amazing person Abhi is. She stayed with me and tried to take the reigns while I lost it!  She told us that we had to get Elliott's TB test read the following day and we would also get the photos taken as well as try to get Elliott's visa completed early. Angel Abhi you are gold my friend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Prayer

Orphan Sunday

Home Stretch