Gotcha Day
When you adopt you are told to expect the worst but pray for the best. I am proud to say that my forever family day could NOT have gone better. Sit back, pour yourself a glass of wine and eat some dairy(I miss both). And please excuse the mistakes as I am typing this from my iPhone.
I was told my in country rep was meeting my mom and me in the hotel lobby at 10:00. He had to drive three hours to Mumbai so I was aware he might be late. I was so nervous I had dinasours in my stomach. At 9:30 we went down to the lobby to wait. The internet in the hotel was horrible and the lobby seemed to be the best place to try and get it. No such luck. So I sat there nervously watching the seconds tick by. Finally at 10:00 our agency rep showed up. He briefed us on possible senerios and within 15 minutes we were off.
The orphanage was a 15 minute drive. He outside had a large fence and was surrounded by Palm trees and banana trees. After signing in we were lead to the office to talk to the director she informed us she was not goon to waste anytime because Sarthak was to eat and take a nap from 12-3 so she didn't want to take away the morning time. Before I knew what was happening, we were lead through the doors to a large open area with a playground in the middle. I was in awe looking at the playground as I have many pictures of my son in it. I was trying to give Sudhir, the rep, my camera and before I realized what happened, my little man came walking out. He was tinier than expected and his bu brown eyes were looking all around. I ran over and got down. I started speaking really softly and he put his hands out to reach for me. I got teary and picked him up. The director explained to me that eah night for 30 minutes he gets alone time with a caretaker to look at the book. This is so true bc he loves looking at it multiple times a day.
Elliott was instantly bonded to be. I gave him a play light up cell phone and he kept saying what I thought was hi. Sudhir then corrected me and said he was calling me mommy in Marathi!!! Be still my heart. Over the next three hours we played with all of the older boys and the home. One word- bubbles!!! This home has 45, now 44 kiddos!!! I was then asked if I wanted to feed him, I laughed, did they think I would say no!!! After that, I looked at my watch. They let me stay an extra hour with my boy. I will not lie, Mumbai is hot, really hot and humid. I was told to come back at 3. I went to the hotel to take a quick shower and eat lunch.
When I got back to the orphanage I met again with the director. We went over all of the paperwork. They gave me a photo album they had made with baby pictures!!! I also received a beautiful Indian flag which will hang proudly in him room. While I was signing papers, they bought my baby out to me. He clung to me and has not stopped since. I then asked to see where my son slept! I was so pleased to see a friends baby being loved on just as I was walking out the door!! We spend a long time saying goodbyes, it is evident that he was loved. My son is in my arms forever and always!!!

Colleen
I was told my in country rep was meeting my mom and me in the hotel lobby at 10:00. He had to drive three hours to Mumbai so I was aware he might be late. I was so nervous I had dinasours in my stomach. At 9:30 we went down to the lobby to wait. The internet in the hotel was horrible and the lobby seemed to be the best place to try and get it. No such luck. So I sat there nervously watching the seconds tick by. Finally at 10:00 our agency rep showed up. He briefed us on possible senerios and within 15 minutes we were off.
The orphanage was a 15 minute drive. He outside had a large fence and was surrounded by Palm trees and banana trees. After signing in we were lead to the office to talk to the director she informed us she was not goon to waste anytime because Sarthak was to eat and take a nap from 12-3 so she didn't want to take away the morning time. Before I knew what was happening, we were lead through the doors to a large open area with a playground in the middle. I was in awe looking at the playground as I have many pictures of my son in it. I was trying to give Sudhir, the rep, my camera and before I realized what happened, my little man came walking out. He was tinier than expected and his bu brown eyes were looking all around. I ran over and got down. I started speaking really softly and he put his hands out to reach for me. I got teary and picked him up. The director explained to me that eah night for 30 minutes he gets alone time with a caretaker to look at the book. This is so true bc he loves looking at it multiple times a day.
Elliott was instantly bonded to be. I gave him a play light up cell phone and he kept saying what I thought was hi. Sudhir then corrected me and said he was calling me mommy in Marathi!!! Be still my heart. Over the next three hours we played with all of the older boys and the home. One word- bubbles!!! This home has 45, now 44 kiddos!!! I was then asked if I wanted to feed him, I laughed, did they think I would say no!!! After that, I looked at my watch. They let me stay an extra hour with my boy. I will not lie, Mumbai is hot, really hot and humid. I was told to come back at 3. I went to the hotel to take a quick shower and eat lunch.
When I got back to the orphanage I met again with the director. We went over all of the paperwork. They gave me a photo album they had made with baby pictures!!! I also received a beautiful Indian flag which will hang proudly in him room. While I was signing papers, they bought my baby out to me. He clung to me and has not stopped since. I then asked to see where my son slept! I was so pleased to see a friends baby being loved on just as I was walking out the door!! We spend a long time saying goodbyes, it is evident that he was loved. My son is in my arms forever and always!!!
Colleen
Congratulations! Love this post, takes me back to our gotcha day :)
ReplyDeleteReading your post has brought tears to my eyes! Gotcha day is so special- so precious - it's a picture of us when we run into our Heavenly Father's arms! BEAUTIFUL! I will continue to pray for y'all!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, What a wonderful day and how great he had all that time with a worker with the book and knew who you were. Hope everything keeps going smoothly. I hope you are back in the US for Thanksgiving, if not you will at least have your son in your arms as you were hoping for.
ReplyDelete